- French president Emmanuel Macron tests positive for coronavirus
- King of Sweden blasts ‘failed’ Covid strategy in rare royal rebuke
- Pfizer vaccine: FDA says extra doses in vials can be used
- US coronavirus updates – live
- UK coronavirus updates – live
- See all our coronavirus coverage
Australia’s largest city of Sydney should brace itself for more Covid-19 cases, New South Wales state premier Gladys Berejiklian has warned, as authorities rushed to contain a new virus cluster in the city’s northern coastal suburbs.
About a quarter of a million residents in the affected suburbs in Sydney have been asked to stay home for three days and people from outside areas urged not to visit as authorities set up more emergency testing centres.
Brazil recorded 1,092 new Covid-19 deaths on Thursday, the highest number in over three months.
Brazil, which has the second deadliest outbreak behind the US, also reported 69,826 new confirmed cases of the coronavirus as daily infections rocket up once more after a brief lull.