- Rev Raphael Warnock issues message of unity
- Pundits predict a Democratic sweep but races too close to call
- Georgia Senate runoff elections – live results
- Why Georgia Senate elections are a big deal
- Meet the candidates in today’s crucial contests
- Sign up to receive First Thing – our daily briefing by email
A key engine driving the strong showing by Democrats, in the consensus of the wonks: enormous turnout by African American voters.
What won Democratic control of the Senate? Take your pick:
– HUGE African-American turnout
– The 125K+ new voters
– Lower relative Republican turnout (maybe driven by Trump’s antics)
– Long-term changes in the Atlanta suburbs
The Ossoff campaign says “we fully expect that Jon Ossoff will have won”.
Ossoff’s campaign manager, Ellen Foster, has released the following statement:
When all the votes are counted we fully expect that Jon Ossoff will have won this election to represent Georgia in the United States Senate. The outstanding vote is squarely in parts of the state where Jon’s performance has been dominant. We look forward to seeing the process through in the coming hours and moving ahead so Jon can start fighting for all Georgians in the U.S. Senate.”