- Trump supporters storm barriers outside Congress
- Biden to nominate Merrick Garland as attorney general – report
- Rev Raphael Warnock defeats Republican senator Kelly Loeffler
- Georgia Senate runoff elections – live results
- Why Georgia Senate elections are a big deal
- Sign up to receive First Thing – our daily briefing by email
The Senate majority leader, Mitch McConnell, made an impassioned speech in favor of certification, as the chamber debated an objection to Arizona’s electoral votes.
“I’ve served 36 years in the Senate,” the Republican leader said. “This will be the most important vote I have ever cast.”
McConnell opposes fellow Republicans objecting to electoral votes: “We cannot simply declare ourselves a national board of elections on steroids. The voters, the courts and the states have all spoken. They’ve all spoken. If we overrule them, it would damage our republic forever” pic.twitter.com/J4kEEN8sO4
Capitol Police are ordering two House offices to be evacuated as hundreds of Trump supporters stormed barriers around the building.
My staff and I were ordered to evacuate the Cannon building. https://t.co/HiqstPZClA
Cannon House office building — which is massive — is also being evacuated, per multiple sources.
Capitol police just went door by door, running down hallways.
Hundreds of Trump supporters have stormed the barricades at the back of the Capitol and are marching toward the building. pic.twitter.com/68nB7QyiP9
Whoa: Trump supporters going at it with the police on the steps of the Capitol as Congress counts the Electoral College ballots inside pic.twitter.com/LiQhaa5KkQ