Trials showed jab was 89% effective in UK and 60% in South Africa; Paris to suspend jabs over shortage; Vietnam reports nine new cases. Follow latest updates
- Novavax Covid vaccine shown to be nearly 90% effective in UK trial
- AstraZeneca may have to renegotiate vaccine contracts, say experts
- Oxford vaccine spat could lead to divergence in Covid strategies
- People of colour must get fair access to vaccines, Fauci says
- See all our coronavirus coverage
A variant of Covid-19 similar to the one that spread rampantly in the UK would likely have developed in Victoria during last year’s second wave had Melbourne not gone into an extended lockdown, a leading virologist says.
India’s health minister, Harsh Vardhan, has claimed it has “successfully contained the pandemic” and “flattened its Covid-19 graph” as the country of 1.34 billion people reported just 12,000 new cases in the past 24 hours – a stark contrast to the 90,000 cases a day being reported in September.