Mysterious News Briefly — April 23, 2021
Scientists hunting in caves in the Philippines discovered the fossils of three new species of giant cloud rats, which weighed over two pounds, that lived in trees at the same time as ancient humans roamed the ground from 60,000 to a mere 2,000 years ago. One of the first things these ancient humans learned how to say was, “That’s not hail.”
Thirty-five years after the world’s worst nuclear disaster, an endangered breed of wild horses, Przewalski’s horse, is thriving in the Chernobyl exclusion zone. Despite what Mick Jagger thinks, there’s no one there for the wild horses to drag away.
A rare species of carnivorous catfish called “Satan eurystomus” or widemouth blindcat” once lived in the Edwards Aquifer under south-central Texas in an area known as the “bad water zone where fresh water and saline water meet, but wildlife experts are fearful it’s extinct after it hasn’t been seen in 35 years. Satan says there’s a special place in hell for those who did this.
Using a new technique called asteroseismology, astronomers have recalculated the spinning speeds of old stars who have slowed down due to a process called “magnetic braking” and found that the old stars haven’t slowed as much as first thought. Do old stars now have a case to sue astronomers for age discrimination?
From the “I can’t believe someone funded this study” file comes a study reported by the American Chemical Society in which researchers measured the amount of carbon dioxide dissolved in a commercial lager just after pouring it into a tilted glass and found that the beer contained between 200,000 and nearly 2 million of tiny bubbles. This should also be in the “That explains why this study took so long” file.
When the next SpaceX ship arrives with four new crew members, they’ll join seven already on the ISS which doesn’t have enough beds for all of them, so two astronauts will have to sleep in the docked SpaceX capsules and two will have to just float around. That gives an entirely new meaning to “air mattress.”
Italian researchers designed a robot that “thinks out loud” so that users of virtual home assistants can see the AI thought process they go through to understand your questions and respond to them. This will come in handy when Alexa says, “I’m afraid I can’t do that, Dave.”
Since 2019, Christiansburg, Virginia, has been the only city in the world with a residential drone delivery service for packages and a recent survey of residents found that 87 percent of them are happy with it. the other 13 percent must have ordered refrigerators.
Talk show host Jimmy Kimmel asked former president George W. Bush about UFOs and W. said he’d be surprised if we were visited by creatures from another planet and he wouldn’t have told anyone about it if he found out while he was president because we couldn’t handle it. Bush may be an artist, but this doesn’t paint a pretty picture of our chances for disclosure.
Entomologists have discovered a new way to study insect brains – they mash them up into a bug brain soup which makes it much easier to count the neurons that determine how smart they are. Smart insects think Bug Brain Soup is a great name for a band.